[Column written by Mischa Fubler]
In our ever-evolving world, the importance of digital connectivity cannot be overstated. It’s the bridge that links us to global opportunities, knowledge, and to each other. Today, I am thrilled to share with you a monumental step Bermuda is taking in strengthening this bridge.
Imagine, for a moment, the vastness of the Atlantic Ocean. Now, imagine a state-of-the-art cable running beneath it, connecting Bermuda to the wider world with lightning-fast digital speeds. This isn’t a scene from a science fiction novel; it’s our reality, thanks to Google’s Nuvem cable project.
Why is this a big deal, you ask? Let me paint a picture.
- A Vote of Confidence from a Global Giant: When a company as influential as Google chooses to invest in our island, it’s not just about cables and technology. It’s a testament to Bermuda’s potential and our place on the global stage. This investment is a resounding vote of confidence in our future.
- Opportunities for All: This keeps Bermuda at the forefront of the global digital transformation. Google is committed to supporting our work to make sure Bermuda residents have access to the training programmes that allows them to keep competitive. Google has committed to support online education for our students. Bermudians will have the opportunity to work for the cutting edge facility developed here by Google. Companies in Bermuda providing telecommunications service will have better access to additional capacity.
- Strengthening Our Economy: While historical performance is not a guarantee of future outcomes, Research Triangle International [RTI], a research and technical services non-profit based in North Carolina, published a paper “Economic Impacts of Submarine Fiber Optic Cables and Broadband Connectivity in Indonesia” in December 2020 which observed a 5.4% increase in Indonesia’s GDP per capita and 5.5% increase in employment in the services sector between 2012 – 2017 attributed to the increased bandwidth provided by subsea cables landing on their archipelago. The Nuvem cable project is a significant step in ensuring that Bermuda remains competitive, attracting further investments and creating job opportunities in tech and related sectors.
- Bridging the Digital Divide: As we advance technologically, it’s crucial that no one is left behind. This project will play a pivotal role in ensuring that every Bermudian, regardless of their background, has access to the digital resources they need to succeed by increasing access to the internet.
- A Symbol of Progress: The Nuvem cable is more than just a physical connection; it’s a symbol of Bermuda’s progress. It represents our commitment to innovation, our vision for the future, and our determination to provide the best for our people. In their press release, Google directly reference our legislation to “create cable corridors and streamline permitting” as a contributing factor for them selecting Bermuda as an intermediary stop on their cable’s route to Europe and state that the Nuvem cables will be our first direct connection to Europe. To some, it might seem like just another tech project. It’s a statement that Bermuda is not just keeping up with the times but is at the forefront of digital evolution.
The Google Nuvem Cable project is not just a big deal; it’s a confirmation of our commitment to ensuring Bermuda’s continued participation in the ever-expanding IT infrastructure sector. As we embrace this new chapter, let us do so with optimism and a shared vision for a prosperous, digitally empowered Bermuda.
– Mischa Fubler, PLP Candidate Smith’s South
Read More About